Italian Sausages, tomato sauce, bacon topped with Mozzarella and chilli.
- Morrisons Italian style pork Sausages (or any Italian style sausage)
- Smoked streaky bacon (one rasher per dog)
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Mozzarella slices (one per dog)
- 1 can good quality tinned tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Handful fresh Basil leaves
- Set the BBQ for half and half direct/In-direct, roughly 200c
- Put the sausages on the indirect side and add a lump of wood to the coals (I used Apple). Place a small cast iron pan over the direct side to warm up, then shut the lid to warm the pan and cook the sausages.
- Once the sausages are 3/4 cooked (roughly 15 mins), add some oil to the pan and drop in the sliced garlic. Fry the garlic for 30 seconds until it starts to brown then add the tomatoes and salt.
- Cook for 5 mins until it starts to reduce then add most of the chopped basil.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, put your bacon on over the direct side and cook until crisp. Set aside to keep warm. Remove the cooked sausages and add to the sliced brioche buns (you can pre-char them like I did using a griddle pan).
- Stick the slice of bacon down the side and cover with a layer of the tomato sauce. Layer on the Mozzarella slices and then the sliced chilli.
- Place the dogs back on the indirect side and shut the lid, let them cook for 5 mins until the cheese has melted.
- Finish with a final sprinkling of fresh basil